Alliance Leisure were engaged by Tempus Leisure with the objective of securing a partner to provide the expertise and capacity required to achieve ambitious business growth that was sustainable and fulfilled their charitable remit. The partnership commenced in January 2015 and ceased at the end of March 2017 following the cessation of the Tempus-Cornwall contract.
The focus of the partnership was to drive growth in the countywide membership scheme through development of the fitness and Swimschool services. Alliance achieved this through leading a marketing programme that was structured around five elements:
• Developing a pro-active and consistent culture where staff instinctively promote and sell services
• A new customer journey, with a clear focus on customer retention
• High quality marketing activity and promotional campaigns including supply of marketing collateral, systems and infrastructure which included a new website and supported the growth of digital
• Robust auditing and feedback to Tempus
• Support to areas such as capital investment, product development and pricing which ensured that marketing became key component of the business.
Not only did the partnership enhance the skillset of the staff and change the culture of the organisation but it delivered real tangible results. Notably, the business enjoyed a 55% increase in memberships with corresponding growth in direct debit income. Similarly, the Swimschool enjoyed an increase of 34% in student enrolment over the same period.
“The partnership transformed our marketing activity and service culture in the organisation, and this was reflected in continuous growth across the period. On a personal level, we strongly endorse the energy and professionalism of the entire ALS team who supported the partnership and witness the changes to the business.”
Direct of Business Development
About Tempus Leisure
Tempus is a medium sized charity providing leisure and cultural services across Cornwall, principally under the terms of a Leisure Management Agreement with Cornwall Council. The company operated 15 venues including leisure centres and a theatre, with extensive community leisure programmes, enjoying c.3 million visits/usages each year
and employing c.1200 people.